Wednesday 19 November 2008

Sct. Severin Skole

Hej,

However, we don't have a great weather today, it is very windy, rainy, stormy, etc. we had a great day today in another way. We went to visit a school near to our home. This primary school has got 800 students, this is the biggest school in Haderslev! So we met with Lasse, the English teacher in the morning and got to see an English class in the 9th grade. Ioan, the teacher asked us to give a presentation about our country and we did. I talked about Hungary a bit and students had questions, like how do we celebrate Christmas? One of the students has been to Hungary, I think she was in Visegrád, as she described me the place she has been to. After, our presentation, they continued to work on their project, the theme is violence in school and they looked the film, Elephant, previously, and today, each group read different articles about violence in school. After, students got free lunch, because now in the school, the local government provides lunch to students for 8 weeks for free in order to advertise a place where they can order food at dinner time. Do you get what I'm saying? When I heard this, I thought, ohh jee, they get hot lunch, but actually it was only a sandwich with chicken meat inside with some dressing on top. Well, better than nothing...After, 40 minutes lunch break, we went to the 4th class, where we talked about our country again, and then the best programe of the day started. We went to another 4th class, where they had music lesson. Kids were very excited to meet with us. They asked us to sing something in our own language. I sang "Tavaszi szél vizet áraszt" and "Kiskarácsony, nagykarácsony". ...Suddenly, these two songs came to my mind. :)
I recorded songs what they sang in Danish, it was very nice to listen to those songs. A new song was introduced to the class, which is from the Beatles, "Merry Christmas". The teacher played the piano and the kids followed the rythm. Cool! After the music class, we visited the afternoon club, where kids hang out after school. It's like "napközi" in Hungary, but not exactly the same, because here kids just hang out in fact, they don't have homework or not a lot. On one of our classes at the college we talked about giving homework to kids, is it useful or not? Actually, the teacher said that there is no strong reason for giving homework to kids, they won't be better students if they have lots of homework, at least that's what the statistics says. Well, I don't know about this, but I'm sure that in Hungary, kids have got more lexical things to do than here. And I'm not sure if it's better. I think practice is more important than to know lots of books. But this is just my point of view.
After all these classes, we said good-bye. I really enjoyed being in the school. It was a nice day!

Here is a video, when kids were singing a song by a famous Danish composer, Kim Larsen. In Denmark, everybody knows his songs. "Jutlandia"

No comments: